Romania reports first two coronavirus deaths
Romania reported Sunday its first two deaths due to the novel coronavirus.
The first victim was a 67-year-old man who had also been suffering from advanced cancer, the government said.
The man had returned from France on 6 March and was admitted to hospital after developing flu-like symptoms.
Later on Sunday a second victim was announced, a 74-year-old man who had been admitted to hospital in the capital Bucharest and had been receiving dialysis treatment.
Romania’s foreign ministry said Saturday that eight Romanians living abroad, seven in Italy and one in France, had died since the start of the pandemic.
While authorities have told the large Romanian diaspora not to come home for Easter, the ministry said that Romanians who were currently abroad as tourists or seasonal workers should return home “urgently”.
Romania had confirmed 433 cases of the novel coronavirus as of Sunday afternoon.
On Saturday the goverment in Bucharest broadened restrictions under the state of emergency brought in to stem the spread of the virus, imposing fresh curbs on movement and barring most foreigners from entering the country. (AFP)