Turkish strike kills three in Kurdish-run NE Syria

 492 total views,  2 views today

The Kurdish administration in northeastern Syria said Wednesday (Nov. 10) that a Turkish drone strike that hit a car in the border city of Qamishli killed three civilians.

The strike, which was carried out on Tuesday (Nov. 9), “killed three members of a single family”, including an 82-year-old man, a statement released by the autonomous administration said.

Nuri Mahmoud, a spokesman for the Kurdish security forces, named the dead as “national figure Yusuf Kello and his two grandsons Mazloum and Muhammad.”

“The treacherous targeting of the patriots of northeastern Syria by the Turkish occupation will not discourage us,” the spokesman said on Twitter.

Turkey, which considers the Kurdish movement that dominates the administration to be a terrorist organisation, has thousands of troops deployed across northern Syria.

The army and its Syrian rebel proxies have seized swathes of territory in successive military operations since 2016, most of them targeting Kurdish forces.

Last month, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Ankara was preparing to step up operations in Syria, where its troops have clashed with Kurdish forces supported by the United States in the fight against the Islamic State group.

On Wednesday, hundreds of Qamishli residents held a rally denouncing Turkey’s latest drone strike.

“Erdogan is a terrorist,” they chanted, raising Kurdish militia flags.

At the protest, Sarem Ahmed condemned the international community for what he called a muted response to Turkey’s attacks in Syria and elsewhere.

“The world is turning a blind eye,” he told AFP.

The conflict in Syria has killed nearly 500,000 people since it started in 2011 with the brutal repression of peaceful demonstrations. (AFP)

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •