NBA: Kobe Bryant supposed to help Dwight Howard in dunk contest
Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard spoke about Kobe Bryant’s death to the media for the 1st time, saying the late NBA legend was supposed to assist him in the 2020 NBA All Star Dunk Contest.
In an interview following the Lakers’ 129-102 win over the San Antonio Spurs, Howard opened up on how he felt when he heard about the tragic news, saying he would “cry (himself) to sleep” sometimes.
“There were nights when I just cried myself to sleep.” – Dwight Howard speaks for the first time on the passing of Kobe Bryant pic.twitter.com/plSzLiooEK
— Laurantine (@LoJoMedia) February 5, 2020
Howard and Bryant were one-time teammates for the Lakers during the 2013 season, a disappointing run when they also had 2-time MVP Steve Nash as part of the team.
They’ve had issues in the past after that season, particularly when Howard transferred to the Houston Rockets.
It has been reported earlier that Howard wanted to have Bryant as part of his antics in the 2020 NBA All Star Dunk Contest, which would have been a great way to come full circle with the late NBA legend.
Dwight Howard says prior to the accident he got word that Kobe Bryant was indeed going to come to Chicago to join him in the dunk contest to help him on a dunk. Dwight says it’s “heartbreaking” that he never got the chance to tell him how much he appreciated him.
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) February 5, 2020
Sadly, it would turn out to be one of the things that will never happen.
Howard is the 2008 Dunk Contest winner. Having a revitalized career in his 2nd stint with the Lakers, the 6-11 big earned a ticket to another Dunk Contest.
Bryant himself won the particular title in 1997.