Manny Pacquiao latest news: PacMan shuns 2016 Rio Olympic Plans
228 total views, 1 views today
Manny Pacquiao will not be putting on his gloves anytime soon following official reports that the eight-time division champion has opted to focus on his legislative duties.
Word of Pacquiao’s decision came no less from executive director of the Association of Boxing Alliances in the Philippines (ABAP) through a report by Ryan Songalia of RingTV.com.
“ABAP respects Sen. Manny’s decision and wishes him well in his work in the senate,” said Picson.
Pacquiao officially retired from boxing back in April 9, 2017 after his unanimous decision win over Timothy Bradley Jr. The Filipino boxer stood firm on his decision to retire though there were lingering talks of a possible Floyd Mayweather Jr. rematch and a stint in the Rio Olympics which now allowed professional fighters to compete.
Aside from those two possibilities, Pacquiao is seen as someone who has nothing more to prove. He holds a boxing career record of 58-6-2 with 38 knockouts.
Pacquiao was already sworn in as a senator last May 19 after amassing more than 16 million votes during the May 9 Philippine National elections. This was despite the fact that Pacquiao had been hit with his glaring number of absences in congress, not to mention his controversial take against transgenders.
Pacquiao was being seriously considered to join the Philippine delegation to the 2016 Rio Olympics which will be held in August. When pressed to answer the call, Pacquiao had initially said that he would think it over and seek the opinion of his fellow Filipinos “if they would allow” him to compete in the ring once more time.
He was however aware of the backlash he would get.
“People might say, ‘Oh there he goes again, being absent in the first two months.’ I’d rather not be subjected to that criticism again,” said Pacquiao.
With the decision passed, there will be no Manny Pacquiao in Rio but such has not totally closed the door on another potential Pacquiao fight in the future.