Netflix Developing 10 Original Korean TV Shows
Netflix is beefing up its programming in the Asian market by initiating the development of 10 original Korean TV shows. The streaming platform announced these new series at the 14th Asian TV Drama Conference in Seoul, Korea.
The slate also includes the return of the highly successful period drama, “Kingdom” season 2, which has been in production since last year. The full press release is below.
The announced slate includes a wide spectrum of various themes, from supernatural action drama (‘The School Nurse Files’) to romance with a Sci-Fi twist (‘My Holo Love’), stand-up comedy (‘Park Narae: Glamor Warning’) and more. Netflix also announced the returning seasons of ‘Kingdom S2’ and the unscripted variety ‘Busted S2.’
In the opening remarks at the 14th Asian TV Drama Conference, Rob Roy, Vice President – Content at Netflix APAC said, “Asian content has found fans around the world transcending languages and borders, and we are humbled to work with some of the finest creators and talent here in Korea and all over the region.” He added, “Whether it is a story about a Joseon crown prince saving his kingdom from zombies or a school nurse protecting students with her supernatural gift, each show is about how the TV form is helping to realize the artistic visions of Korean creators, and Netflix is honored to bring these stories to the world, bringing their creative visions to life on the screen.”
Upcoming Netflix Korean Original series that are in the pipeline are (arranged in alphabetical order):
- Busted S2 – The returning season of Netflix’s first Korean Original variety show featuring Yoo Jae-suk, Lee Kwang-soo, Kim Jong-min. Ahn Jae-wook, Park Min-young, Sehun of Exo, and Kim Se-jeong of Gugudan
- Extracurricular – A story of high school students who become tangled in a series of conflicts and events that challenge human values and morality
- Kingdom 2 – a returning season of the story about the crown prince fallen victim to a conspiracy, setting out on a journey to unveil the evil scheme and save his people from a strange plague that renders the infected immune to death and hungry for flesh.
- My Holo Love – (More details to be announced later this year)
- Park Narae: Glamor Warning – Stand-up comedy special featuring one of Korea’s most beloved comedians, Park Narae
- Round Six – A story of people who fail at life for various reasons, but suddenly receive a mysterious invitation to participate in a survival game to win ten million US dollars
- The School Nurse Files – A newly appointed high school nurse who discovers secrets and mysteries with her supernatural abilities to chase ghosts.
Netflix will make succeeding announcements about its incoming Korean programs.