Boxing News: Canelo Alvarez Expects Fireworks in Showdown With Amir Khan

 693 total views,  8 views today

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez believes Amir Khan will not change his fighting style and is expecting fireworks in their upcoming showdown on Saturday at the new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Khan, who has a 31-3 record with 19 knockout victories, said that he is planning to have a deliberate fight plan on Saturday, saying that he will accept an ugly victory as long as he wins the title and prove his doubters wrong.

The former Olympic silver medalist told boxing news website BoxingScene that he will use his vast experience — from the amateur to the professional ranks — to score a huge upset against Alvarez.

“All that matters is the win,” Khan said. “Even if it becomes ugly, a win is a win.”

Khan said that he watched how Floyd Mayweather and Erislandy Lara made Canelo’s life difficult during their bouts, which convinced him to treat the upcoming bout like a “chess match.” Mayweather defeated Alvarez via unanimous decision in September 2013, while Lara took a split decision loss to the Mexican boxing superstar.

Recent boxing news indicated that Khan’s plan to change his fighting style could lead to a boring fight, but Alvarez thinks otherwise. The reigning World Boxing Council middleweight champion said that he expects Khan to go toe-to-toe with him to have an action-packed bout on Saturday.

“Amir Khan’s never been in a boring fight so I don’t think it’ll start now, he’s always been in exciting fights,” Alvarez said. “Let’s not forget about the courage he has: when he’s been down he’s got back up. He’s very courageous and you’ve got to respect that.”

Alvarez, who has an impressive 46-1-1 fight card with 32 knockout victories, will be defending his WBC middleweight title for the first time. The 25-year-old Guadalajara, Mexico native took the crown via unanimous decision win over Miguel Cotto in November last year.

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •