The highly anticipated Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier fight will headline the huge UFC 200 fight card on July 9 at T-Mobile Arena, Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White announced on “Good Morning America” show.
Jones, who boasts a 22-1 fight record, was supposed to get a shot to reclaim the UFC light heavyweight title from Cormier at UFC 197, but the reigning champion had to pull out of the bout due to a leg injury.
The former light heavyweight champion still headlined the UFC 197 fight card, where he scored a hard-earned unanimous decision win against Ovince Saint Preux.
Following his victory on Saturday, Jones declared that he is ready to face Cormier in a rematch at UFC 200, and he got his wish as UFC confirmed the bout will headline the biggest fight card this year.
Jones defeated Cormier via unanimous decision during their first meeting at UFC 182 in January last year. But after three months, the 28-year-old superstar was stripped off his belt after he was arrested for felony hit-and-run charge in Albuquerque.
In his fight against Saint Preux, which was his first since the win against Cormier, Jones looked rusty, but the interim light heavyweight champion is confident he will dominate his rival in July.
“You guys ready to see DC get his a** whooped again?” Jones told the audience. “We’re gonna send him crying. It’s gonna be a good one.”
However, Cormier, who escaped with a split decision win against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 192 in October last year, is also confident he will successfully defend his title based on Jones’ performance against Saint Preux.
“I hadn’t decided to even fight yet. Now I’m defending my belt at biggest event in history,” said Cormier, who is expected to get medical clearance in the coming weeks. “After what I saw last weekend. This will be light work.”
The Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier rematch replaced the original UFC 200 main event — Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz — after McGregor and UFC had a dispute about promotional duties.